Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Grapes of Wrath: First

So, first of all, let me just say that this was by far the hardest book to read this summer. It so long, and it is not the kind of long where everthing is happening and new plot twists arise. No, this is the kind of long that has a thousand completely unnecessary descriptions about what the characters are wearing or thinking or feeling, and everything about the descriptions go on and on and on for no reason, kind of like this sentence because it is just so long and drawn out and boring and dull, and it makes me just want to put the book down. It also had some correlations to previous actions and people that I did not remember because of the way I was reading, - I could not actually read this, I had to skim - and so many difficulties came up. The story behind the words was fairly exciting, but the words themselves, well, I am not sure if I should say exactly how I feel, but it sucks. The biggest problem with the book was just that it was too long for me. The book itself is some like 620 pages. That is a lot. And, the print is pretty small and hard to read. There are like twenty people and characters to keep track of and remember who does and says what. Because these reasons are just some of the factors, it can easily be imagined that John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrathdoes not read like a 620 page novel; it really feels more of about a 1,000 page autobiography of a farmer or someone who lived three hundred years ago and did next to nothing with his life. Also, I kind of did not like the characters because I could not really relate to many of them. They were all people who lived on the streets, sort of, and they went around doing old western things, and it was much different than The Old Man and the Sea and Fahrenheit 451.

No comments:

Post a Comment